April is a month filled with family birthdays. We started April 16th, with Grandson Daniel III turning 4 yrs old. Where did the time go? They had a pool party with over 20 kids. It was a huge splash!
![]() |
| Note: There is still frosting on his face! |
Yea! The birthday plans we made back in September were in full swing! Being a bird addict, I'm sure you can guess what I wanted to do? Yep. Birding. Getting hubby on board wasn't hard. The place we reserved to camp was called, "Dead Horse Ranch." He likes cowboys. It's a win,win. The event, Verde Valley Birding & Nature Festival. We shorten it to "Birdy Verde."
http://birdyverde.org/index.html.
Thursday: "Orville", our pop up, (get it?) was locked and loaded by 8:30 am. The trip north is a mere 3 hour drive. We took everything but the kitchen sink and that's only because we already had a sink in the pop up. Two laptops, two cameras, two bikes, one TV...you get the idea. David even got himself a Vortex 10x36 mm Monocular, to use with his good eye! http://tinyurl.com/cyta39v
Once there, I ran down the dirt trail to sign in at the registration tent. Whoops, no waivers in hand, ran back up to camp for Dave's signature on the form. But wait. A mama Black-chinned wanted to show me her nest. We were there 1/2 hour and I spot this little gem. Now I'm really getting pumped!
![]() |
| Black-chinned Hummer. |
Thursday: 4:00PM~Welcome Wine Social, Jay's Bird Barn,Tent, Free
7:00PM-9:00 PM~Owl Prowl, Bob Miller
Friday: 7:00 AM-3:00 PM~Watching Warblers, Box Lunch, Homer Hansen
Sat: 8:00AM-1:00PM~Cadillac Canoe Brunch, Chip Norton, Host: Ron Mattia's Ranchette
![]() |
| Jay's Bird Barn was the Sponsor. Turns out, he grew up a block from our house! http://www.jaysbirdbarn.com/ |
![]() |
| David Mizejewsk, Keynote Speaker http://birdyverde.org/Festival%20Details2012/Keynote_Speaker/index.html |
My next surprise was a small group of Cedar Waxwings. (Because they eat so much fruit, Cedar Waxwings occasionally become intoxicated or even die when they run across overripe berries that have started to ferment and produce alcohol, http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/cedar_waxwing/lifehistory)
These birds didn't appear to be drunk!
![]() |
| Sadly, this group of 8 or so stayed in the shadows. |
![]() |
| Ceder Waxwings. |
![]() |
| Ash-throated Flycatcher. |
![]() |
| Same bird from the back. |
Trip Description: We will be prowling our way around the park in an attempt to spot the great horned owl, the barn owl, and perhaps the western screech owl. They have all been seen here in the past. Bring along a flashlight as well as your binoculars.
Friday! My Birthday. It was time to meet Cynthia White and go warbler hunting with Homer Hansen!
Trip description, "Warblers are challenging to identify and Homer is not only knowledgeable; he can help you to master this skill. You’ll visit appropriate habitats, and with Homer’s skill, you will soon be able to keep up with the best. Species that might be seen include Black-throated Gray, Nashville, Grace's, Lucy's, Virginia's, and Yellow Warbler, Painted Redstart, Common Yellowthroat, and Yellow-breasted Chat. Box lunch included. Homer will be presenting a workshop on Thursday afternoon where he will go over the basics of warbler ID. We recommend attending this workshop in preparation for this field trip."
Our first stop was Red Rock-Secret Mountain Wilderness, located within the Coconino National Forest of Sedona, AZ. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rock-Secret_Mountain_Wilderness
![]() |
| Cynthia! You are so precious. Thank you for spending the day keeping me entertained. Love my gifts. |
![]() |
| Yellow Warbler |
![]() |
| Great Blue Heron preening on cliffs of Sedona Trails. |
![]() |
| Fuzzy image of a cute Black Phoebe. |
![]() |
| A House Wren is a common backyard bird over nearly the entire Western Hemisphere...but I'd never seen one! |
![]() |
| Warbler walks: Looking for a 2.5" bird in a ginormous tree! |
![]() |
| The group spotted this mama bc hummer at our lunch break. |
Besides spotting Yellow-rumped Warblers, Black-throated Gray Warblers, Lucy's and Grace's, there were Painted Redstarts, Summer Tanagers and a Cassin's Kingbird.
![]() |
| Page Springs Fish Hatchery parking lot, a double swallow-tailed butterfly. |
![]() |
| Bonnie and Halle. |
![]() |
| Libby, with Halle and Yogi. |
Saturday: Canoeing!
Description: On this, our signature trip, we will be taking canoes down the Verde River for a different perspective of the riparian habitat. We will beach the canoes at a private residence and be treated to a home-made brunch. Experienced paddlers pilot every canoe so you can sit back and enjoy the river’s surprises. There’s always the chance that you might get wet so wear shoes and clothes that can take the water. Shorts are recommended depending on weather. This trip is dependent upon the water flow.
![]() |
| Wearing my new present to the canoe adventure. Ready to get wet, but hoping I don't. |
![]() |
| David with his guide, Mary. |
Because I had a miss hap with my stress level and food intake, I awoke with a swollen face. Exactly one year of this crazy hive condition and I'm really getting good at trudging through the weirdness. Angioedema is what I get and is characterized by deep swelling around the eyes and lips, so I needed to be with a good canoe guide...Chip set me up with Bob. In his role as the expert, we stayed in lead postion of 12 canoes which allowed me to have the ride of my life! Bob (Morgan?) was my hero, I got to see all the birds before they were scared away.
![]() |
| Bob in the middle, sitting with Chip and Steve. |
Chip Norton, a man filled with vast bird knowledge and a big heart....
![]() |
| Chip Norton, our bird guide. President:Verde Watershed Associationhttp://verderivergreenway.org/who-we-are.php |
Surprisingly, I took this photo of a male Summer Tanager from the canoe.
![]() |
| Male Summer Tanager. |
![]() |
| Lee standing by, "Horned Lady" glass work done by Ron. |
![]() |
| Ron at his oven, he made the oven too. |
![]() |
| He earned a kiss. |
![]() |
| Five buildings full of stuff on one lot. |
Sunday: No set schedule. After a sad farewell to our two favorite camping companions...breakfast was eggs, turkey sausage, hash browns, fruit and Starbucks instant coffee. Our son Joe's 35th Birthday was the 28th. He spent the day doing what he loves, fishing! He caught a 26.5 lb walleye in Pier, South Dakota.
![]() |
| Happy Birthday, Joe! |
We headed over to see the Lagoons at the campgrounds. Some nice birds were hanging out there too.
![]() |
| Red cliffs and water = amazing views. |
![]() |
| Bullock's Oriole just wouldn't come into plain view. |
![]() |
| American Coot. |
![]() |
| Common Yellowthroat. |
![]() |
| The Great-tailed Grackle shows off. |
![]() |
| Red-winged Blackbirds were everywhere. |
![]() |
| Even the females. |
Sunday night: Steak off the grill and reflections. Going home in the morning is always bittersweet.
Monday: Still under attack by hives, we make it back in one piece. Special thanks to David. His calm driving and easy nature made for a nice drive home. (We silently both knew...not having the Karmel greet us would be hard). David is my rock.
As we pull in the drive...something colorful catches my eye. OMG...what is that? Speaking of rocks...there's a bird painted rock perched by the front door. I start to squeal. Our daughter was by to water plants, she must have left it for my Birthday. How sweet.
We come inside and I find a large hand made card and hand painted bird house...Katrina!!! The card was telling me a migration of rock birds has arrived and I need to hunt them down in the yard! She and the kids have painted 15 rock birds for us to discover. From pure joy, I start crying and running all over the yard...
![]() |
| Katrina's gift of art is in each and every feather. |
![]() |
| Plant I named, "Angel and her butterfly." |
Thank you all who have read this entire post...while it was long, so was our trip. My heart is filled with love, from family, friends, birds, and Birthdays! I'm so blessed. Thank you. <3
Bird List, no counts, just names I can remember, all 64 of them.
Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos n
Common Merganser, Mergus merganser
Gambel's Quail, Callipepla gambelii n
Double-crested Cormorant, Phalacrocorax auritus n
Great Blue Heron, Ardea herodias n
Turkey Vulture, Cathartes aura n
Common Black-Hawk, Buteogallus anthracinus n
Harris's Hawk, Parabuteo unicinctus n
Red-tailed Hawk, Buteo jamaicensis n
Osprey, Pandion haliaetus n
American Kestrel, Falco sparverius n
American Coot, Fulica americana n
White-winged Dove, Zenaida asiatica n
Mourning Dove, Zenaida macroura n
Western Screech-Owl, Otus kennicottii n
Great Horned Owl, Bubo virginianus n
Broad-billed Hummingbird, Cynanthus latirostris n
Anna's Hummingbird, Calypte anna n
Belted Kingfisher, Ceryle alcyon n
Gila Woodpecker, Melanerpes uropygialis n
Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Picoides scalaris n
Northern Flicker, Colaptes auratus
Gilded Flicker, Colaptes chrysoides n
Black Phoebe, Sayornis nigricans n
Ash-throated Flycatcher, Myiarchus cinerascens n
Cassin's Kingbird, Tyrannus vociferans n
American Crow, Corvus brachyrhynchos n
Common Raven, Corvus corax n
Violet-green Swallow, Tachycineta thalassina n
Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Stelgidopteryx serripennis n
Verdin, Auriparus flaviceps n
Bewick's Wren, Thryomanes bewickii n
House Wren, Troglodytes aedon n
Marsh Wren, Cistothorus palustris n
American Robin, Turdus migratorius n
European Starling, Sturnus vulgaris n (I)
Cedar Waxwing, Bombycilla cedrorum
Phainopepla, Phainopepla nitens n
Virginia's Warbler, Vermivora virginiae n
Lucy's Warbler, Vermivora luciae n
Yellow Warbler, Dendroica petechia n
Yellow-rumped Warbler, Dendroica coronata
Black-throated Gray Warbler, Dendroica nigrescens n
Yellow-throated Warbler, Dendroica dominica (A)
Grace's Warbler, Dendroica graciae n
American Redstart, Setophaga ruticilla n
Ovenbird, Seiurus aurocapillus (C)
Common Yellowthroat, Geothlypis trichas n
Painted Redstart, Myioborus pictus n
Yellow-breasted Chat, Icteria virens n
Spotted Towhee, Pipilo maculatus n
Abert's Towhee, Pipilo aberti n
Chipping Sparrow, Spizella passerina n
White-crowned Sparrow, Zonotrichia leucophrys n
Northern Cardinal, Cardinalis cardinalis n
Lazuli Bunting, Passerina amoena n
Indigo Bunting, Passerina cyanea n
Summer Tanager, Piranga rubra n
Red-winged Blackbird, Agelaius phoeniceus n
Great-tailed Grackle, Quiscalus mexicanus n
Bullock's Oriole, Icterus bullockii n
House Finch, Carpodacus mexicanus n
Lesser Goldfinch, Carduelis psaltria n
House Sparrow, Passer domesticus n (I)






































Excellent blog and images Kelly! Very meticulous work and so entertaining. So very glad to have shared your Bird-Day with you my friend, we had a great time:)
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting a comment! It always makes the work feel more real. The trip was so fun and meeting you so special. I'm sure we will migrate together for more birding fun soon. Until then, happy birding!
ReplyDeleteI love watching your passion for birdies unfold! I'm so glad you had a happy birthday, you deserved every minute of joy! We love you so much. Bird On!
ReplyDeleteWow, great blog Kelly! I got to relive our trip. Thanks for the hard work here. I am going to send this to family around the country!
ReplyDeleteThank you both for comments. David you spoil me rotten and Katrina you are such a cute little bird. My life is complete with you both surrounding me with love. Much love.
ReplyDeleteFantastic! Love all the birds you were able to see but the best part was that you could spend it with hubby and friend Cindy. I'm glad you both had a great time. I'd love to do this next year. It sounds like a blast!Great birds and great shots!
ReplyDeleteVerde Birdy or bust! I sure hope you can work it into your schedule. And about the schedule, I may skip the long day tours and do shorter classes next time. The campsite and spot we had would be hard to beat, so early registration is a must. Unless you stayed at Cindy's and drove over. We like the campfire etc...and would be happy to co-camp! The area is filled with various habitats, so no dull moments.
ReplyDelete