Sunday, January 20, 2013

Birding in Tortolita Mountains

Our recent cold snap left me feeling horribly cooped up, so I decided to go hiking and birding. Also, I wanted to try out my new camera harness, fanny pack and hat, all gifts from Christmas. One problem, I had no idea where to go, so I closed my eyes spun in a circle and stopped facing north, looks like Tortolitas or bust! 


New territory for me, the Tortolita Mountains border the northwest edge of the Tucson valley, near the towns of Oro Valley which is where we live. They are the smallest of Tucson's mountain ranges, however they still feature rugged peaks, gullies, canyons and tall saguaros.  To get started, I printed out a map from the website http://www.marana.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/1314 and decided to shoot for the Upper Javelina Trail.  Chosen not because the Ritz Carlton Golf  Resort can be seen from the trail, but because it looked like the quietest and least traveled. (Going alone, I also let hubby know where I'd be.) 


Initially, the Wild Burro Trail weaves in and out of a dry riverbed before getting to the split off where the Upper Javelina Trail starts. The signs were so lacking at the parking lot and along the trail that I was a bit lost, even with my map. And, I wasn't the only one lost. A small group of ladies couldn't find their way back to the parking lot, so I took a quick cell phone photo to note where we were. Letting go of ever finding my exact trail destination, it was time to relax and just watch for birds. 


Within minutes of settling in to enjoy the surroundings, I spot a Red-tailed hawk on a tall saguaro. Wow...they are a pair and in an early courtship display. Because hawks can fly at 40 miles per hour and are typically high in the wind currents I was excited to get a few images, even if they far away. And unless they are standing side by side, don't ask me which is the female or male!



In  The Distance a Red-Tailed Hawk 


Red-tailed Hawk





Courtship Display
Back to Perch

Also, I see a pair of Towhees, Phainopepla, Gila woodpeckers, a few Cactus Wrens...I start writing a list. Then I spot these little Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. I chased them from bush to bush and barely catch a photo. 



Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher
Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher
Another one of my favorites came along to eat mistletoe, a Mockingbird.


Northern Mockingbird
Seriously, I rarely hike without a visit from a hummingbird!
Anna's Hummingbird


Now, I 'm taking in the scenery and the desert's beauty centers my core. I feel alive!







Naming This, "Italian Tablecloth Rock"


Alas! I find the trail head. Only after I was attacked on my arm by a jumping cholla. I'll let wikipedia explain that drama. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindropuntia_fulgida. 

Trail Head

Around the trail signs, in the grasses of the dry river bed were several bird species. I saw sparrows, a cardinal and heard many other bird calls. Sadly, people kept passing by and scaring them off. Shortly after that, I decided to go home myself.



      Black-throated Sparrow and White-crowned Sparrow

At the parking lot was the trail mascot... a sunbathing Cactus Wren. Looks like he was as happy to see the sun as I was!



Itchy Cactus Wren
Cactus Wren and Arizona state bird

All in all, the hike was fun. Don't think it will be on my favorites list. Maybe I'll try again when water is running down the sandy river beds? We'll see. Oh speaking of running down river beds, I spotted a herd (6) of Javelina from the parking lot. Maybe how the trail got it's name? 



Javelina

My bird list: Hike 2.5 hrs. 



1Anna's Hummingbird
1Northern Cardinal
2Northern Mockingbird
2Abert's Towhee
3Northern Flicker
4Red-tailed Hawk
4Phainopepla
4Black-throated Sparrow
6Gila Woodpecker
6Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
10Cactus Wren
12White-crowned Sparrow

On the way home I saw a pair of Red-tail hawks (maybe the same pair) perched on a utility pole.



Maybe the Female On The Right?
Amazing Bird
Any time you want to see prey birds in Tucson, just drive Tangerine Boulevard! 

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great hike none the less. Super birds! Do you get out birding with Kathie Brown at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've met Kathie and Celeste at SweetWater wetlands, but we haven't gone out together...yet. She has so much knowledge and I'd love to tag along with her and Chris, hopefully some day soon. I'm signed up for Birdy Verde in April. That should be tons of birding fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, nice story of your hike. That Red-tail is kewl. Love it!

    ReplyDelete